- This event has passed.
Snake Davis Saxophone Masterclass – FREE – PLACES LIMITED!
Sunday, September 24, 2017 @ 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Join us for the first DYJA Masterclass of the new Autumn term and season. Free to students interested in learning top tips and techniques from one of the country’s most inspiring Saxophone musician and tutor. Places are very limited on this workshop. To find out more and to register an interest please contact the DYJA office on 01302 320002 or via email on firstname.lastname@example.org. You must be able to play to a Grade 4 standard and above but we welcome any new musicians that would like to watch the session for inspiration!
With thanks to Richard and Ann Bell, Friends of DYJA who have made this workshop possible!
Snake Davis Biog
Snake Davis is one of the music world’s best kept secrets. He is a saxophonist of almost unparalleled gifts who has played with the best in the business through a career spanning three decades. Yet it wasn’t until he reached the age of 20 that he picked up his first saxophone. He enrolled on the diploma course in jazz and light music at Leeds College of Music funded by busking and gig money. It was here that he met and made many of his life long friends and gained the great experience of disciplined ensemble playing. The much loved “Snake Davis and his Alligator Shoes”, the nine piece soul band were formed, playing 60’s soul music with the sax taking the vocal parts. After college, Snake spent several years travelling, playing on cruise boats briefly setting up home in Brooklyn getting tuition from hot players and visiting some of the best jazz clubs in America.Back in England, he joined the soul revue band “Zoot and the Roots” started his long career as a session musician and first met Lisa Stansfield. The rest, as they say, is history.
To date, Snake Davis has recorded on more than 400 tracks for over 60 artists and the list keeps growing. That’s not even counting all of the live performances! These are some of his career highlights to date:-
- Sax Solo on cult television show “The Tube”
- World Tour with Lisa Stansfield
- “Tonight with Jonathon Ross”
- 1993 The start of his long association with M-People
- Plays himself as band leader in “The Paradise Club” ITV series
- Presents a Masterclass on Tyne tees, Granada and Yorkshire TV
- World “Peace” tour with The Eurythmics
- Saxophonist on Paul Hardcastle JazzMasters Series
- First Solo album commercially available released – Snakebites
- First of many tours with Japanese rock star Eikichi Yazawa
- Digital single “Human Nature” record of the week on JazzFM
- Human Nature No.1 on smooth jazz single charts with CDBaby
- World Premiere of SnakeStrings
- Appearance on BBC1 “The One Show” with Chris Evans, Alex Jones and Gary Barlow – feature on The Solo’s The Star for his sax on “A Million Love Songs”
- Two of his students were BBC Young Musician of the Year finalists in 2014 and Jess Gillam was runner up in 2016
- Klingande and Faul & Ad Wad used his sax riffs on three European chart hits, reaching number 1 in the dance charts in the summer of 2014.
- Snake will be performing as part of the City of Culture in Hull in 2017
Snake plays soprano, alto, tenor and baritone Saxes, Shakuhachi, Flutes, Whistles and Vocals. He also composes and works as an educator, examiner and music director.